Sunday, June 27, 2010

Grandma Robertson

A little tribute for Grandma. A lady who called grandpa "her man" and said, "next to lovin' I like fightin' best". Oh Granny was a lady with spunk. She could pull off almost anything. Including high-heels and orange lipstick. You couldn't help but smile around Grandma.

I don't remember Grandma without Grandpa. Everywhere Grandpa went Grandma went too. (Even if Grandpa had to sit in the car and honk for 10 minutes). I also remember them watching tv and holding hands, and Grandpa rubbing Grandma's feet. (Grandma would bribe anyone to rub her feet, she often promised a quarter for anyone who would 'do a good job'.)

That lady could work you into the dirt. I remember helping her cook, clean, water, weed, make beds, iron, and then as a treat we sat on the back porch in her swing. But only after we got chores done. That was her. Work hard and play hard.

The kitchen was the gathering place at Grandmas. She always had something for you to eat. It ranged from melted cheese and snowballs to her horrible pinto beans with ham. But don't worry, that would be followed by ice cream or hot chocolate depending on the season.

She LOVED her family. She would attend any event her grandchildren were involved in. She loved to talk about the most recent dance, piano, singing, band, and sporting event she had attended. I loved Grandma's support in all the activities I was in and could count on a big hug and cheer from Grandma.

Devotion to the Church was top priority with Grandma. She would read scriptures every day and then tell me she still had a lot of church material to get through this month. She made sure to read the Ensign cover to cover. She always asked me if I had enjoyed my Ensign yet this month. That was also her Christmas gift, a subscription to the Ensign. I think that the time she spent working in the temple was a huge blessing for her and us. It kept her young. I loved getting a chance to fix Grandma's hair for the temple. Wednesdays I could count on Grandma reporting, "I put your name on the prayer roll..."

There are so many memories with Grandma. She was a huge influence in my life. I remember coming home from dates or an other activity and reporting to my parents, and then Grandma would hush me into her room (I think she and Grandpa liked waiting up too)to hear the details. Thanks Grandma for being a great grandparent. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment